31-Mar-07 12:46 AM – Mom's Update about Connor :
Hello to all,
Once again, we have experienced another lesson in lifeâ€™s uncertainty. The emotions were overwhelming on Wednesday when the doctors gave us the OK to return to Alaska this weekend. We had all been waiting for this day to come and as the words left there mouth the moment did not seem to be real.
After being in Seattle for almost 11 months, we have become comfortable with everybody who has been involved in Connorâ€™s care. Therefore, while I was overcome with joy there was also a feeling of sadness to be leaving our â€œcomfort zoneâ€. Unfortunately just as a mirage fades when you become closer so did our hope of going home this weekend when Connor got a fever Wednesday night. We spent several hours in the ER getting blood drawn and making sure antibiotics were not needed. Thursday, Connor seemed to be feeling better and his fever had gone down but he still was not fully himself. He woke up Friday with another fever and so it was off to see the doctor again.
After doing a full evaluation, the doctors still think that what ever is making him sick is probably a virus that his body is having a hard time getting rid of. However since some of his symptoms could be signs of a flare up of his Graft Verses Host Disease (GVHD) they want to monitor him for the next few days and have him checked out by the doctors at the Cancer Care Alliance (who deal with GVHD more often) next week.
In addition, Connorâ€™s weight has continued to drop. He now weighs less than 26 pounds, two pounds less than when he was diagnosed last May. Since his weight has been dropping steadily over the last several weeks the doctors decided today that a feeding tube was necessary. It is our hope that he will only have to have it for a few weeks until he is able to maintain his weight on his own. Holding him as the nurses put the tube up his nose was one of the most horrible experiences ever, for all of us. He spent the rest of the day miserable and trying to get used to his new accessory.
Although the news we received today was disappointing I know that this is Gods plan for us right now and that when we are supposed to return home God will open that door for us. We have been blessed that Steveâ€™s work has been understanding and accommodating to his need to be here at a moments notice. He came down last week with the hope of being able to bring us all home but instead has had to extend his stay to be here for Connorâ€™s appointments and to support me through this bump in the road.
Carson continues to amaze me. He learns so much everyday and is quickly becoming a toddler. I have been busy packing boxes and getting everything ready to go home. It is amazing how much stuff you can accumulate in 11 months.
This journey has taught me many lessons along the way but one of the most important is to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself because you never know what tomorrow will hold.
All our love, The Dunhamâ€™s Steve, Alicia, Connor and Carson
â€œI can do all things through Christ who strengthens meâ€ (Philippians 4:13) â€œWhen I am afraid, I will trust in youâ€ (Psalm 56:3)
Please Pray: Connor will get used to his new feeding tube and start to gain weight For wisdom for the doctors that they can figure out what is causing him not to feel good We will all be able to return home very soon